Sweet Secrets of Health
Sweet Secrets of Health Blog | UCBMSH – Paramedical Degree courses college in Dehradun( Doon ) , Uttarakhand , India .
More or less sweets are the part of our life. We celebrate our festivals, occasions, parties and many other special timing with sweetsin the form of barfi, laddoo, rasgulla, chocolates, candies, cakes and sweet dishes. These are really greatest in their taste. No doubt they are good source of energy, happiness and many more smiles.
Besides the benefits sweetsalso has some health rescue.
- Tooth problems– bacteria (Straptococcus) digest sugar and releases Lactic acid which dissolve the tooth enamel. (Riva Touger-Decker and Cor van Loveren; 2003)
- Weight gain– most of the sweets are calorie dense food consuming more sweets can cause weight gain and obesity.(Bray, Samara, Popkin;2003)
- Non alcoholic fatty liver disease-fructose get turned into fat in the liver. This can lead to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), a growing problem in Western countries that is strongly associated with metabolic diseases. (Nseir W, Nassar F, Assy N.;2010)
- Insulin resistance- Many studies show that sugar consumption is associated with insulin resistance, especially when it is consumed in large amounts which can result into type II diabetes. (Scott M Grundy ;1999 )
- Cancer- Multiple studies show that people who eat a lot of sugar are at a much higher risk of getting cancer. (Stephen and David ;1983)
Authoress is an assistant professor and research scholar in Uttranchal (P.G.)college of biomedical science and hospital Dehradun in biochemistry department.